“Mm.. pasta“, I thought to myself while sweating for my life and finishing a run on the treadmill last week. I’ll admit though, before I was a vegan I didn’t indulge much in my pasta fantasies due my irrational fear of calories and my milk allergy. But today I want to show you how to make a meal that fills the need for a satisfying bowl of pasta, complete with grilled veggies to give it some character.
(Video tutorial at end of post)
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 3 servings of pasta (I used some thin spaghetti, but any other pasta would be fine.)
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small/medium yellow onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups of button mushrooms & 2 mini sweet peppers
- 1 & 1/2 cans of diced tomatoes (I used the kind that was seasoned with Italian herbs)
- 1 & 1/2 tbsp tomato paste (optional)
- 3 tbsp of fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1 & 1/2 cups of vegetable stock
Start off by cooking your pasta in a pot of boiling water for 7-10 minutes. Drain & set aside.
In a skillet set to medium-high heat, sauté the onions and garlic with some olive oil until translucent and set aside.
Roughly chop the mushrooms and the peppers– you can either add them to the sauté and cook them with the diced tomatoes OR you could snazz things up and marinate them in a splash of vinegar, 2-3 tbsp of olive oil + pepper and throw them on the grill to get some char and increase the flavor. Mind you, I love grilling nearly all my veggies.
After you’ve added the veggies and incorporated the tomatoes, add the spices, herbs, and vegetable stock, stirring over medium heat. Adjust seasoning to taste.
Stir in the pasta, and keep warm until ready to serve. Buon Appetito!
Many thanks to Kiara Gómez for filming and putting together this tutorial! As usual I had so much cooking and devouring the meal afterwards hehe. You can see more of her creative content here.